Sunday, September 30, 2012

Relief Society Broadcast

If you didn't watch the relief society broadcast yet, go watch it! It's amazing how these talks given to a world audience can touch you so personally. I found another marriage saver tip is this meeting, so here it is.
The Atonement is the best gift our older brother has given us. No matter our circumstance, he knows EXACTLY what you're feeling. Sometimes your husband won't understand you perfectly, but Christ always will. If you need some sympathy, fall on your knees and pray. Then learn from his example.
First, seek to understand. When I got back from the meeting, I know my grandma was inspired to talk to me. After the talks, I was wondering, when Jesus wept with Mary after he heard Lazarus was dead, did he know he was going to bring him back to life? Why would he weep when really all was well? My grandma told me about how the Savior did know he would raise Lazarus. However, instead of passing off Mary's tears because he knew everything would be fine soon, he wept with her. He seeked to understand her feelings, and he fell on his knees and cried beside her for her loss and sorrow. After he took the time to understand, he performed his miracle.
As wives, I think we need to remember to seek to understand our husband a little better. They have worries and pains. They need to know we're listening, we care, and we are trying to understand. Instead of jumping in to solve his problem right away, maybe try to sympathize with him first. Feel what he's feeling until he feels understood. I know that's what I need most days.
The second principle  I learned was that of eternal love. I love the personal experience the second counselor shared. She talked about how she neglected God. She was upset and angry that God had put something so hard in her life. However, the second she fell to her knees and prayed for comfort, he poured it upon her. This eternal love amazes me. I know if my husband is going through a hard time and I feel like he is being angry with me, I'm not quick to comfort him when he asks for it. I'm more focused on the wrongs that were done to me. Forget yourself and reach out to comfort your husband. Never turn away when he comes to you looking for comfort. Show that eternal love our Heavenly Father gives each one of us to your sweet husband.
These are definitely hard things to do, but I promise you if you follow Christ's example with a loving heart, your marriage will be strengthened. Be patient and be understanding. Good luck :)

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful thoughts Caitlin--it really was a great meeting.

    ReplyDelete